Monday, March 29, 2010

Day +1363 : Crystal clear video but where is the sound? (1)

I am fine today.

Playing full HD 1080p MKV video file trough the WD TV HD Media Player on a LCD TV that support full HD is a new experience to me. The quality of the video is fantastic and the sound is not bad too even on simple stereo speakers.

But some MKV video file that I acquired gave me a headache recently – crystal clear video without any sound at all. I believe no one could tolerate this kind of situation - seeing someone talking but doesn’t know what he/she is talking about because we hear nothing. The video plays well with proper sound on a computer through VLC Media Player.

I investigated and found out that the problematic video file has audio stream in DTS format, and it is very unfortunate that the WD TV HD Media Player that I have doesn’t play DTS audio on the stereo speaker.

However, there is an alternative approach to hear the high quality sound, that is streaming it through the digital interface or HDMI output, not the stereo interface. This means that I got to have a sound system that support digital interface or HDMI input to listen to the sound. As I am not so particular about the sound, I am reluctant to spend money on an expensive sound system.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: