Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Day +1336 : My first LCD TV

I am fine today.

I purchased a Samsung 40” LCD TV a day before the Chinese New Year Eve. The exact model is Series 5 530 40inch (LA40B530P7R).

I first came across the TV in TESCO, selling at RM3799. Then, I proceeded to SenQ in IOI mall to check the price and I was very happy to find out that SenQ was selling it at a promotional price of RM2899 only. I sealed the deal immediately, achieving a saving of RM900. I don't know if you still can get it with this price now.

The TV supports playback of high definition video up to Full HD 1080p. That means it can have a resolution of 1920x1080 (1920 horizontal pixel and 1080 vertical pixel). So the video displayed is very real.
In order to enjoy the high quality video, we need a Blu-ray movie played through a Blu-ray player. But fortunately this is not the only way that we can enjoy Full HD movie.

I acquired quite a lot of Full HD 1080p documentaries in Matroska for Video (MKV) format. These videos were converted from the Blu-ray disc which is still rare and expensive. I then played the MKV file through a media player and found out that the video quality is very good too:-)

Installing the wall mount

Mounting the TV on the wall is a lot safer than leaving it on the table as Adriel and Aaron always climb the table. If they pull the TV while climbing, the TV will overturn very easily.
The back panel
See you next post :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear David
I also just got one LG 37" .The component cable ( 3 colour wire) cost RM120 so I did not buy in Kuching first. Does it cost less in KL ?

David said...

Hi,

I think it all depends on quality. We definitely can get something a lot cheaper than RM120 depends on brand.

When I purchased the TV at SenQ, I found out that they are only selling expensive HDMI cable which cost RM300 to more than RM1000.

I got one at TESCO at about RM60 later :-) But I don't know how much better the video quality would be if I use a better HDMI cable. To be it looks good even with the RM60 cable :-)

Enjoy your movie!

David

ront said...

as long as the cable looks well built (no loose part and such) they're fine....no point in paying so much for those branded HDMI.....i am sure plenty of others would disagree.....in fact there's a big debate on-going in many forums abt this.

David said...

Perhaps, should do a side-by-side comparison with exactly the same equipments except the cable. I am also in the opinion that the quality shouldn't differ too much noticeable to our eyes.