Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Day +1337 : WD TV HD Media Player

I am fine today.

In order to enjoy all the documentaries and movies in the MKV format, I purchased a Western Digital TV HD Media Player from TechHypermart. The device which can play many audio, photo and video file formats cost RM389.

File formats supported are as follow:
  • Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9
  • Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
  • Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS
  • Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL
  • Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI
The box

The device
The back panel - Input (2 USB port), Output (HDMI and composite video)
One thing I need to remind you is that this device doesn't play RMVB file. If you keep a lot of video files with these format, make sure that you don't buy this player. There are cheap players that support RMVB file.

The device also doesn't come with any storage. To play the video files, we need to copy them to a USB portable storage device and then hook up the storage to the player. The storage can be an external hard drive or USB Pen Drive. I purchased a 1TB Western Digital My Book Essential External Hard Disk Drive that cost RM339 for video storage.

The box of the storage device
This is how it looks like. A lot bigger than those portable one. Need external power supply.
I can keep huge amount of videos and photos in this device :-)

See you next post :-)

4 comments:

Gin said...

Hei, this is very helpful information to me cos i am considering to get these too. thanks, David.

David said...

Great! I am quite satisfied with the player though it is a little bit expansive.

For the WD 1TB MyBook Essential, the TechHyermart's price is very attractive.

If you need video files, I can share with you what I have. Just bring me the storage :-)

David

Gin said...

thank you for the offer.

Anonymous said...

It agree, very useful message