Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day +966 : A HTC Touch 3G PDA phone (2)

I am fine today. Continue from yesterday…

The differences of the original, AP and underwater set are as follow (from a website):

Original Set
  • Imported through authorized distributors. 
  • Can service your phone at any service centres.
  • 1 year warranty for the full set including charger, battery, handsfree.
  • Genuine parts are used for repairing.
AP Set
  • Approval Products
  • Mainly imported from oversea and sell it to the consumers.
  • AP set warranty by companies that imported the units.
  • 1 year warranty for the phone and 1 month for the accessories like charger, battery, handsfree.
  • Have to bring the phone back to the place where the unit was purchased for servicing.
Underwater Set
  • Stolen / Brought in from oversea without paying tax aka SIRIM Sticker. 
  • Considered as Illegal. Mostly brought in by student studying oversea.
How To Identify Original and AP Set
  • Take out the phone case and battery.
  • Original set comes with authorized company sticker
  • AP set comes with AP company sticker
  • Press *#06# to check the phone 15 digit serial number (IMEI).
  • Compare it with the IMEI written on phone sticker (back of phone case) and package box sticker.
  • For original set, these serial numbers are the same.
There was claim that the AP set might be recon set or underwater set. In addition to this, the warranty service given might not be as good as the one from the authorized distributors.  

But I only know these details after I purchased the phone. If I know this earlier, I might get an original set.

However, in order to justify that my decision of acquiring an AP set might not be too bad either, I shared with you my nephew’s experience.

He purchased an original set of Dopod PDA phone and just before the warranty expired, the screen didn’t response to touch properly. He sent the unit for repair and he waited for one month to get his unit back. Tolerating a long waiting was secondary matter; the worst thing was that his PDA phone hanged very frequently after the repair, rendering it almost useless. And this was the quality of warranty offered through purchasing the original set :-(

I am quite interested at the GPS features of the phone and as I don't have any experience using such feature, I couldn't get it working on the way to UH this morning. But when I was on the way home, I heard the phone suddenly talking to me and after a quick check, I found out that the GPS was working :-)

I am going to show how this GPS works to my wife and children later. Just taking them for a ride to one of the shopping malls nearby :-)

Highlights of features of the phone
  • 2.8-inch touch screen, with four times the resolution of most phones.
  • Powered by Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional.
  • Next generation TouchFLO™ user interface, responding perfectly to your finger gestures when scrolling through contacts, browsing the web and launching media.
  • Small, lightweight design available in a range of vibrant colours.
  • Surf and download at broadband speed with HSDPA internet connectivity.
  • 3.2 megapixel camera for quality stills and video.
  • microSD™ slot for expandable storage.
The phone
See you next post :-)

No comments: