Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day +965 : A HTC Touch 3G PDA phone (1)

I am fine today.

I purchased a HTC Touch 3G today. It is a PDA phone powered by Windows Mobile 6.1. 

The O2 XDA II which was given to me by my boss didn’t work anymore. When I got the unit, I found out that the screen was always out of alignment. This led to many erroneous actions. For example, when I clicked on the “reply” button blow the SMS message, the phone simply deleted the message :-) This is because the “delete” button is located next to the “reply button” and due to screen misalignment, the phone thought that I pressed the “delete” button. 

Even thought I have to realign the screen very often, I still kept the handphone as it was still usable. However, one thing I must mention is that I might spend more time aligning the screen than actually using the phone.

The screen touch problem became more serious lately until such a point that it simply didn’t response to touch :-) As the unit didn’t come with a keypad, I couldn’t even make a call in the end. I don’t have a choice but to replace the unit. 

I get used to the Bible and dictionaries on the O2 XDA II which ran on Windows mobile 2003. So the replacement unit has to be one that runs Windows Mobile as well. In addition to this, it is good to have GPS support. I also decided to get a HTC phone as it is quite popular. 

Yesterday, after the McDonalds meal, I went to a phone shop in IOI mall to look for a HTC phone that satisfies my requirement. I was introduced to this HTC Touch 3G with a price tag of RM1899, one year warranty.

I did a search on internet today and found out on lelong.com that Gadgets Junction is selling the unit at RM1650 but with 15 months warranty.

Given the substantial price difference, I doubt if the Gadgets Junction is cheating. I consulted my nephew, Heng Chiek, who had a lot more experience on lelong.com than me. 

He told me that there were two types of handphones in the market; the original and the AP set. The original set is imported through authorized distributors and AP set is imported through non-distributors. 

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: