Friday, February 06, 2009

Day +947 : Follow-up – Ophthalmology Clinic

I am fine today.

My appointment is at 9:30am this morning. I went to UH at 8:45am but only managed to reach there at 10:30am :-( What a heavy traffic!

I saw the ophthalmologist at 12:00am. This time they had my file ready and a different ophthalmologist was seeing me. “All glands were destroyed…” he told me. He asked me to continue to use the preservative free “Tears Naturale Free” to lubricate my eyes.

During my last follow-up, the doctor tried to change the “Tears Naturale Free” to Systane, to be used together with an ointment called Fucithalmic. But I experienced sandy feeling on both eyes after applying Systane, and furthermore, my eyes became red and sore :-( I switched back to “Tears Naturale Free” after that.

Since not much can be done, the next appointment was arranged 6 months later.

After seeing the ophthalmologist, I rushed to Haemotology Clinic to see haemotologists. I would like to let them have a look at my chest x-ray film that was taken on Wednesday.

The haematologist was very kind. He attended to me almost immediately even though he still had a patient to go. He found out that the pleural effusion (fluid retention) was new as the last chest x-ray taken June last year didn’t have it.

He told me that many things can lead to pleural effusion, in which infection is one of them. He sent my sputum for analysis. Apart from today’s sample, I need to send another two sputum samples; on Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

I will do another chest x-ray during my next bone marrow transplant (BMT) clinic follow-up. If the pleural effusion becomes worst, then we have to find out the cause.

I am very glad that I made a good decision on Wednesday to take the chest x-ray and also to see the haematologist today. I just hope that the pleural effusion will subside during my next follow-up.   

See you next post :-)

No comments: