Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Day +651 : Back to KL (2)

I am fine today. Continue from yesterday...

After visiting the Canada Hill, James fetched me to Petronas Carigali office in Lutong to visit my former colleagues there.

I had my first job with Petronas Carigali, Baram Delta Operation as Network and Telecom Engineer from mid of 1993 to 1996. At that time, the Network and Telecom section was under the IT department. After working there for three and half years, the company wanted to do away with the IT department as it was not the core business of the company. This formed the main reason for me to leave the company as I felt that there was not much room for me to develop here anymore.

My worry came true as the entire IT department was gone later. Some of my colleagues joined the newly formed Petronas subsidiary company called iPerintis and those who insisted to stay were absorbed into various non-relevant departments :-(

This is the first time ever I visited the company that I left 11 years ago and is quite sad to find out that not many former colleagues were still working there :-( If I were not mistaken, we had over 20 staffs during peak time and we maintained good friendship among us.

The Petronas office building situated at Lutong, Miri. It was not even exist when I joined the company. We shifted to this new building about one year later. I was involved in the setting up of data network in the new office. “The cat-5 network cable was laid by him,” my former colleague, Ahmad Kendong, told someone in the office. In fact, most of the systems that I put in were obsolete and the network cable should be the only few that are still being used today.

The Petronas telecom tower which houses the microwave discs for offshore communication. My former colleague, Ahmad Kendong, was involved in setting up the tower.Former colleagues from left: Ahmad Kendong, Pehara Sidhu, Mr. Lau (formerly shell IT staff), Zakaria. Apart from Ahmad and Sidhu are still with Petronas, the rest joined iPerintis.
Former computer room operator Mr. Abdul Karim, still with Petronas.
Mr. Hamka, former colleagues, but not in IT department. He was crazy about IT and later joined IPerintis, but now is on his own business, doing vessel cleaning.
To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: