Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day +650 : Back to KL (1)

I am fine today.

I boarded an AirAsia A320-200 Airbus from Miri to KL at 7:00pm today. This was the first time ever I boarded such an aircraft. It is configured with 180 passenger seats with an all-economic layout. The aircraft is very new compared to those existing AirAsia Boeing 737.

The journey was very smooth and I managed to reach home at 10:30pm.

I spent a busy day in Miri visiting friends and places before coming back to KL. My wife’s brother-in-law, James, took a day off today to bring me around Miri. After having breakfast, we went to Miri Marina Park, a river mouth project based on reclaimed land. The developer had been talking about the project while I was in Miri more than 10 years ago and finally we see some form of concrete development happens there.

A big seahorse statue erecting at the park. View of Miri town from the park.
The Marina Seafood Restaurant The Balinese wood carving wall of the restaurant

We proceeded to Canada Hill after visiting the Marina Park. I believe the first oil well ever explored in Miri is on this hill. I don’t know what has the hill to do with Canada until the people had to name it Canada Hill. “Could it be because it was the Canadian who first discovered and drilled the oil well here?” I asked. “I don’t know,” answered James.

A view of Miri town from the hill.
The Grand Old Lady on top of the hill – the first oil well in Malaysia. “Let me help”
What is this? I don’t know :-( Probably another oil well.
Time capsule on the hill; launched in 2005 and will be opened in 2015.
Petroleum Museum on the hill, but I don't have time to visit it. To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: