Monday, April 14, 2008

Day +649 : In Miri

I am fine today.

I had a breakfast with my old-time classmate who is a senior pastor of a church in Mei Ann Methodist Church, Miri. He is also currently the 教区长(regional head) of Miri. We chatted for more than 2 hours.

He introduced to me the benefit of using GPS (Global Positioning System) while traveling. He brought along a GPS enabled PDA phone when he was having holiday in New Zealand last year. With the help of GPS, he managed to drive freely and smoothly there. The GPS system would tell him where he was, which route he should take, when he needed to turn left or right or made an U-turn and many other useful instruction and information.

For those PDA phone without built-in GPS support, just purchase a GPS receiver, and download necessary software and maps to the phone, then the phone is now GPS enabled. According to him, we don't even have to connect the receiver to the phone as it will establish a wireless connection automatically. Therefore, we can place the receiver anywhere near the phone.

This technology is extremely useful for people who always have difficulty in getting to an unfamiliar destination, and I must admit that I am one of them. As such this technology is a big blessing to me :-) I shall try it out as soon as possible.

A photo with my classmate and his wife My wife's brother-in-law James brought me to eat the famous Rojak (a type of fruit and vegetable salad dish) and ABC in Krokop 5, Miri. They are very delicious :-)

The Rojak The ABC
After that James brought me to a small home based biscuit maker to buy biscuit.

Fresh out of the oven "Pong Bian" - 蚌饼?
Dou Sa Bian - 豆沙饼

Preparing the biscuit fillingBusy making the biscuit
James treated me a delicious dinner ordered from restaurant :-) As usual, I could not resist myself from sharing with you the dishes that I had. "I got to document this," that is what I told people when I take photo of the dishes.

Honey braised pork leg
Bean curd - 招牌豆腐
Yam bird's nest
Spare ribs Oatflake prawns
Home cooked Kangkong - not bad :-)
I visited my cousins (children of my mother's sister) at night. The one next to me is of the same age as me but weights over 100kg. He is an extraordinary filial (孝顺) son who took care for his paralyzed mother side by side for more than 10 years. The second one from the left married a young Kayan girl. When I asked him when she came from, the answer is "don't know." "Far far away in a very remote place," he added. He never visits his wife's place and his wife also never visit her kampong after married to him.
The two cute children - Daniel (left) and Nini (right)
See you next post :-)

No comments: