Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Day +644 : Visiting Samuel

I am fine.

After enjoying the luxurious lunch yesterday, I called a cab to go to the Paediatric Institute of Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL) to visit Samuel who was doing transplant there.

Yesterday was his Day +11 and he was doing very well.

As I blogged about him on my blog Day +632 : Today is Samuel’s Day 0, he will be receiving the drug MTX after the transplant and this drug can cause mucositis. He complained serious stomachache few days ago which was believed to be caused by mucositis and this caused him difficulty in swallowing food and drink. He was given intravenous morphine to ease the pain.

I am very glad that he was getting better yesterday. The parents told me that he was able to eat porridge and the doctor also started to reduce the amount of intravenous morphine.

In addition to this, his blood count is starting to pick up. This is a good indication that the transplanted stem cells from his sister are producing blood in his body, a process called engraftment. If there is no complication, I believe he should be discharged very soon.

I supposed to visit another Leukaemia patient in Gleneagles Intan Medical Centre (GIMC), Ampang but when I finished the visit in HKL, it was almost 6 pm. I have to delay the visit. This patient's relative found me through this blog and has been keeping in touch with me for some time.

Besides this, a friend of mine that I blogged about several times before is finally doing his bone marrow transplant in UH. His name is Mr. Lim and today is his Day -6. You can read his story here:

Day +209
Day +600 : Finally, he found suitable bone marrow for transplant (1)
Day +601 : Finally, he found suitable bone marrow for transplant (2)

Let us always remember Samuel and Mr. Lim in our prayer. May God bless them to have a successful transplant.

See you next post :-)

No comments: