Friday, January 25, 2008

Day +569 : I buy Toyota Alphard, do you want my Mitsubishi Pajero?

I am fine today.

My brother-in-law (my boss) purchased a second hand 2.4L Toyota Alphard 2005 today with an on-the-road price RM210,000. He invited me and a car workshop owner to test drives the vehicle at the sales office.

Toyota Alphard 2005 is a luxury multi-purpose vehicle (MPV). The 2005 model comes with automatic sliding doors which slide open with a press of button. Very impressive! Apart from this, its internal design is spacious and comfortable. It could accommodate 8 passengers.

Toyota Alphard 2005

Internal view

My brother-in-law offered me his 1996 3.5L Mitsubishi Pajero to me free of charge. Though I need an 8-seater vehicle, I dared not accept the offer for two reasons. Firstly, the old Pajero maintenance cost is extremely high, and secondly, it consumes a lot of petrol; at least RM0.60 per km, I believe. I would rather squeeze in 8 people into the Perdana for now :-)

The Pajero is similar to this one
In the end, he traded in the Pajero at a price of RM20,000 only.

See you next post :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David,
I am really impressed by the high price of the imported vehicles in Malaysia. It seems that this second hand toyota costs as much as Ee Ding's house in Puchong! In USA second hand vehicles are quite cheap. We recently purchased 2003 KIA Sedona, 3.5L, USD4,500 (RM17,000). This is a mini van somewhat similar to Toyota Alphard, but with fewer options (e.g. there are no power sliding door, navigation system etc.) I am wondering why the price of imported vehicles in Malaysia is so high.

Dobrin

David said...

Hi Dobrin,

It is all because of Proton - Mahathir's brainchild - which suppose to become something that we proud of, but now become our burden :-(

Government imposes heavy tax to imported vehicle.

Another reason is the use of Approved Permits (APs) to control the imported vehicles. The APs are issued to Bumiputra only, and then they sell it to Chinese... This incurs additional cost to the vehicle.

Many people here driving their "house" or "bungalow" on the road.

We really envy what you get with RM17,000,

David

Anonymous said...

I must digg your article so more people can see it, really helpful, I had a tough time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Norman

Anonymous said...

excellent points and the details are more specific than elsewhere, thanks.

- Murk