Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Day +552 : “I am a lawyer! Do you think I can get cheated so easily?” (2)

I am fine today. Continue from yesterday…

Very often, MLM companies use doctors or Nobel Prize winners to “fool” people believing that their product works. “He is a doctor!” or “He is a Nobel Prize winner!” and "They know more than you." and "They can’t be wrong." But the question is whether the majority of doctors recommending the product?

Sometime ago, a friend showed me a book about nutrition recommended by a MLM company. After I expressed reservation about the book, he reminded me that it was written by a doctor. I told him we should not believe something that was proposed by a doctor or some doctors, we need to take into account the view of majority, and most importantly, whatever proposed need to be backed by well researched publications; else we do not need to be so serious about it :-)

The lawyer said that research on rats showed that the Xanthone, the most important component in the Xango juice, suppressed the growth of cancer. I told him human and rat is different.

“They are 80% the same!” he affirmed me.

The first question is who tell him this, and the second question is even if we are 80% the same, how do we know Xanthone will have the same effect on human body? Even the same drug will have different reaction on human, how can we assume that something work on rats must work equally well on human?

Why not do a proper trial on human? After all it is not too difficult to carry out the trial, isn’t it? It is just a matter of drinking extremely expensive fruit juice only. I believe it is not that they don’t want to perform the trial, but they know for certain that the trial result would contradict to what they claim, and they will be out of business.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: