Sunday, January 06, 2008

Day +550 : Nature is their toy

I am fine today.

When I was in the home village for holiday with my family last December, a cicada stopped on my cloth. I held it gently in my palm and it generated a loud hoarse cry whenever I shook it. I asked Daniel to guess what was in my palm based on the cicada sound.

“A toy!” he guessed without much hesitation.

He thought that it was a plastic toy that we used to get in the town. Yes, it was indeed a toy, but an alive and natural toy :-)

Children living in the kampong are having fun playing with living toys supplied abundantly by nature. With these natural toys, there is no need for the parent to spend money to purchase artificial toys :-)

I will give you an idea of what “toys” we have in the kampong. There are many other “toys” I didn’t have a chance to take photo.

A cicada stopped on my shirt.
A zoom in view of the cicada.
A moth
Mud skipper
Scorpion
Flowers
Hen
Cricket
A leave insect - look like a leave exactly
Millipedes
Another moth
Cockroach
Small crab
Dog
Firefly
Flower
It is really a blessing to have these living toys free of charge :-)
See you next post :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sir,

The unnamed insect looks like 蟋蟀 or another insect that I do not know how to call but see a lot in oil palm garden.

David said...

Yes, I recall people call it 蟋蟀.

Thank you, SzuKiak for recharging my memory :-)

ront said...

蟋蟀 is cricket in english....and that 'another beetle' you labeled look suspiciously like a cockroach.

David said...

Thanks, Ronnie. I must label them wrongly :-( Updated.