Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Day +161

I am fine today.

This year, I made a lot of friends in UH. I met most of them in the hematology ward during chemotherapy. After the bone marrow transplant, I also befriended a few post-transplant patients who do follow-up in the same clinic.

Never in my life had I lost so many friends in a year. I was very glad to meet a girl who completed her third party (non-sibling) bone marrow transplant in Taiwan during my 27 November follow-up. We did chemotherapy and stayed next to each other in the hematology ward early this year. She came for her first follow-up in UH and was very enthusiastic in telling us what happened there. Last Thursday, I was very surprised to receive a call from a friend informing that the girl had passed away.

I asked doctor why the girl passed away. “GVHD?”, “No”. “Infection?”, “No”. “What else it could be?” I puzzled. “Why you want to know?” doctor asked. I said if I know the reason then I can be more careful to avoid the same problem, and if he don’t tell me the reason, I might not be able to sleep (don’t worry, I can sleep well). Doctor said, “No, no. Don’t worry, your case is different.”

Later someone told me her white blood count shot up to 200 when she admitted to UH early last week. I guess she was experiencing a relapse of the disease.

The Bible says that we are actually pilgrims of this world (2 Peter 2:11) and advises us to live our life wisely as what the Psalm 90:12 says, “So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.”

See you next post :-)

No comments: