Monday, December 01, 2008

Day +880 : Follow-up – Goodbye Prednisolon

My Blood Count Today: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.

Red Blood Count (HB) = 137[140] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 245[196] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 6.5[5.7] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 2.99[2.394] (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
ALT = 38[44] (Normal 30 – 65)
AST = 24[21] (Normal 15-37)
GGT = 46[52] (Normal 15-85)

I am fine today.

I went to do my regular follow-up today. The blood counts, renal and kidney function test all showed excellent result :-) However, the lipid profile didn’t give good result as the total cholesterol level is 5.9 (normal < 5.2), and the LDL cholesterol level is 3.43 (normal < 2.6). The HDL cholesterol is 1.2. Dividing the HDL cholesterol level with the total cholesterol level will give a Total/HDL ratio of 4.92 (normal < 5.0), which is on the borderline.

Based on the blood test result, it looked like the GVHD is under control, so doctor stopped the Prednisolon (steroid). This is a signification breakthrough given that I took this drug non-stop since February 2007 until now, a duration of 21 months :-)

Though I am still having some cough, doctor said that my lungs are clear.

My next follow-up is 6 weeks later. If everything works well, I should be able to reduce the Ciclosporin dosage – another drug to suppress my immune system to prevent GVHD.

See you next post :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Brother,

Congratulation for free from Prednisolon.
Again, thank you very much for sharing your precious experience in my agency.

In my opinion, you may hv eaten too much good food (especially sea food) cause your cholesterol high!

Best regards,

Kuok Chai

David said...

Dear Kuok Chai,

Thank you.

I totally agree with you that the high cholesterol level is caused by seafood :-) Too much crabs and prawns last few days. Should slow down a little in eating them. I will do another lipid profile test may be three months later.

God bless!

David

Anonymous said...

Dear Ah Kiew,

Congratulations for being declared Prednisolon free!! We look forward to hearing another good news on reduction/removal of Ciclosporin six weeks from now!

God bless always!

Ee Ding & Dobrin

David said...

Thanks, Ee Ding & Dobrin. I am finishing up the recipe of making Foochow red wine. Will send to you later of the day. Someone in the church described the process to me. Hopefully, you could find the ingredients and have sufficient time to make it.

God bless!