Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Day +496 : One-in-a-thousand chance (2)

I am fine today. Continue from yesterday...

I heard of many cases where modems were damaged by lightning in this area. Someone advised me to unplug the telephone line and power supply from the modem to avoid it from being damaged by lightning. I didn’t listen. Firstly, I had been leaving the modem powered on with phone line attached all this while and nothing happened to it even with intense lightning in the surrounding area. Secondly, I assumed that this unfortunate incident won’t happen.

The damage of the modem yesterday proved that my assumption was wrong. Even though the likelihood of getting another strike is one-in-a thousand, I will arrange to install UPS and lighting arrestor when I get my next modem. It is better to play safe than to take the risk again.

I think it is important to apply the same “play safe principle” to human too. Those who propose natural healing and alternative therapy might tell us how “dangerous” is the western medicine. They would also tell you doctors know a lot about the “danger” of medicine, but they don’t want to tell you about it. If we take what they say wholeheartedly, we might avoid taking necessary medicine when we really need it, thinking that our body can cope with the disease naturally.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: