Monday, November 12, 2007

Day +495 : One-in-a-thousand chance (1)

I am fine today.

Yesterday afternoon while I and my nephew were working in front of computers, a lightning occurred. The main switch was triggered off instantly and we experienced a black-out straight away.

Even though the place that we stay is very prone to lightning strike, I didn’t install any Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) or lightning arrestor to prevent computers from being damaged by power surge.

When I turned on the main switch again, I heard a “pop” sound upstairs. Without much delay, I rushed upstairs, wondering which device was exploded. After a little bit of investigation with Daniel, we found out that the power adaptor of an external USB ports “exploded” with burning smell. The computers and printer were all fine. What a relief!

The exploded power adaptor.

Later when we wanted to go online, we only realized later that our broadband wireless router modem was also damaged :-( Though the modem is still under warranty, I don’t know whether the manufacturer covers damage caused by lightning. If not, I “rugi (lost)” RM250 :-(

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: