Friday, September 14, 2007

Day +436 : The consequences of dry mouth (1)

I am fine today.

As mentioned earlier, I am suffering from dry mouth syndrome because my saliva glands are attacked by my own immune system – one of the symptoms of post bone marrow transplant side effect called graft versus host disease (GVHD).

Whenever I am talking, I feel friction inside my mouth due to the lack of saliva. I could feel that all the parts – tongue, mouth, teeth – are pulling each other. The more I talk, the faster my mouth would dry up and it will very soon come to a point that I hardly could talk :-( So, please don’t be surprised if you see me stop talking suddenly; it is just because my mouth is jammed. Just pass me a cup of water and I will start to talk again :-)

Apart from talking, I have problem in eating dry food such as biscuit. For an ordinary people, the dry food would induce salivary automatically so that the food won’t get stuck in the mouth. Now without water, there is no way for me to swallow dry food :-(

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: