Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Day +427 : Cola + Mentos = Fountain?

I am fine today.

I believe every one of you heard of volcano eruptions, but any of you ever heard of Mentos eruptions?

Just in case you never eat Mentos before, here is a photo of different flavour of Mentos. My cousin forwarded an email to me about two months ago with photos showing Cola-Mentos reaction. The mail also said that two boys died after eating Mentos and drinking Coca-Cola together. I told her I would do an experiment to see if it is true.

On Monday, We did our first experiment by dropping two Mentos into 1.5l of Coca-Cola. We were very disappointed because the reaction was too small to generate a fountain. I suspected we didn’t drop in enough Mentos to generate a fountain.

We did another experiment yesterday and even called my sister’s children here to witness the great Mentos eruption, but my nephew managed to drop 3 Mentos into the Coca-cola. The rest of the Mentos were stuck in the Mentos wrapper. So the experiment failed again :-(

We don’t give up. This evening, we repeat the experiment again after much practice. In order to drop 11 Mentos into the Coca-Cola fast enough, we wrapped them in a paper tube that we made. And this time, we manage to drop all the Mentos into the bottle within a split of second and finally we get the much awaited fountain :-)

I am still very excited looking at this majestic fountain that we produce :-) Click any of the following photos to get a larger view.
More than half of the 1.5 Cola-Cola was gone.
See the amount of Mentos that we put in.
The happy experiment crews and audiences :-)

Judging from the amount of Mentos that are needed to create an eruption, it is very unlikely it can cause death to children. Who can swallow 11 Mentos within a split of second?

The experiment proved that I am no genius but quite persistent :-) I would try until I get to see the fountain :-) If I were genius, I should get the fountain in the first experiment and spent only one-third of the cost of experiment. For you information, the total cost of experiment is RM12.00 (3 bottle of Coca-Cola RM3 each + 3 bar of Mentos RM1 each).

If you engage me as consultant for the experiment, you only need RM4 for the experiment because I would make sure that you get the result in the first attempt :-)

Please let me know if you would like to repeat the experiment and need my help, I am more than willing to be your consultant :-)

See you next post :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sir,

Finally I found the cola mentos music show that Galvin forward to us before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKoB0MHVBvM

Check it out.