Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day +1504 : The saxophone arrives from Japan today

I am fine today.

I mentioned in my post - Day +1492 : Daniel registered for Saxophone lesson - that I was looking for a saxophone for Daniel. Factors that I considered while purchasing the instrument are the cost and the quality.

I was told that those Yamaha YAS-275 in Malaysia market is assembled in Indonesia with original parts from Japan. It is not only costly and quality wise, it is definitely not as good as those assembled in Japan.

A school band tutor in my wife's school said that he could supply the instrument to me with 15% discount. That means I have to pay about RM5600 after discount.

Just before I would like to confirm purchasing the instrument from the tutor, I suddenly remember my 'sister' Crystal Ting who has been staying in Japan for over 10 years, and she is just about to visit me. So I contacted her and in the end, she hand carried one back for me :-)

He paid 110,000 Japanese Yen which is about RM4,000 only. And this comes with additional two mouth pieces. Furthermore, this one is made in Japan :-) According to a friend in Hong Kong who owns a music shop in mainland China, a Japan made YAS-275 costs more than HKD20,000 (RM10,000).

I thank God that I thought of my sister, Crystal Ting, just before she came back; else we will have to spend more to get a lesser quality instrument.

I wrote about Crystal Ting in the following two posts:
I hope that Daniel will appreciate what we have done for him and learn the instrument seriously.

The box


Mouth piece with reed attached
The neck
The body



The imprint of "MADE IN JAPAN" makes this a different instrument :-)
I purchase two additional Yamaha original mouse pieces.
See you next post :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's beautiful!