Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day +1508 : Second blood donation campaign this year

I am fine today.

My church organized its 6th blood donation campaign today. This is also the 2nd blood donation campaign for this year.

A total of 42 units of blood were donated today. The number dropped compared to the last 3 campaigns. This is possibly due to a number of reasons such as lack of campaigning and there were already a few blood donation campaigns in Puchong prior this.

With this campaign, our church successfully donated 253 units of blood since the first blood donation campaign on 19, September 2007.

The result:
  1. First campaign: 36 units
  2. Second campaign: 34 units
  3. Third campaign: 46 units
  4. Fourth campaign: 47 units
  5. Fifth campaign : 48 units (highest)
  6. Sixth campaign: 42 units
Very few people coming to donate blood in the morning, so I joined the teenagers to distribute flyers around the church area. We hope that the flyers will attract more people coming forward for the event.

I went home to fetch Adriel for ballet class at 11:30am and then went to Puteri Mart to do weekly shopping. I visited the church again just before picking up Adriel and found out that there were only 9 donors at 1:00pm. This made me wonder whether we could achieve the minimum 30 units of blood, a target set by the hospital for each campaign . Further campaign might be affected should we fail to achieve this minimum requirement.

My wife donated blood in every blood donation campaign organized by the church. She was unable to donate blood in the morning because she had to attend co-curriculum activity and staff meeting in the school and reached home at 2:00pm only. I fetched her to the church (my third visit to the church) after lunch and I noticed that the scenario there was completely different. So many people came for blood donation in the last two hours and all the 8 chairs were fully occupied. I was very glad to see that and became very confident that we would be able to achieve the minimum requirement - 30 packs of blood :-)

We were exhausted and slept until 7:30pm. When the maid came to call us for dinner, I thought that it was Sunday morning After learning that it was still Saturday, I was very happy because I got one night extra :-)

Our next blood donation campaign will be held on the 11 December. Do you have blood to contribute? If yes, take note of the date and see you then :-)

Banner erected outside the church
Three musketeers distributing flyers happily
This is what we have in the morning - so quiet

Afternoon -busy filling up the form


Let doctor check before proceed further

First round of poking. Painful?



Ouch! So painful...
My wife, Angela, a seasoned donors. This is her 7th blood donation.
5 minutes to get this - consider to be fast.

Benson - first timer

All children came to support mommy





Have a cup of Milo and some bread here after blood donation
Blood ready to be sent to the blood bank
Packing - the end of the day
On the way back, I stopped by a durian stall near the Puchong Jaya food court. I was convinced to try D24 from the mountain region which cost RM8/kg. I asked the stall owner to open one but it was hard, and the second one was hard also. The third one was fine but it didn't taste better than those RM5/kg from the stall in front of Fong Lei Restaurant.

D24, not so good one - RM6/kg
D24 from the mountain which supposed to be good but my experience tell me otherwise
Mangosteen - quite good. RM10 for 3kg


See you next post :-)

No comments: