Saturday, September 05, 2009

Day +1158 : Blood Donation Campaign

I am fine today.

My church is organizing the second blood donation campaign in 2009 today. The first one was held 6 June.

The church started its first ever blood donation campaign on 19 September, 2007 and the second one was held on 13 September the following year. And this year, we successfully conducted two blood donation campaigns.

The result:
First campaign: 36 units
Second campaign: 34 units
Third campaign: 46 units
Fourth campaign: 47 units

This makes a total of 163 units of blood donated. Perhaps, we can have three campaigns next year :-)

I told a nurse that I am a Leukaemia patient who went through a bone marrow transplant in UH. As such, I am not eligible to donate blood anymore. She was quite surprised and asked me who was the donor. I told her that it was my sister.

She said that she was the one who harvest the stem cells from my sister, but couldn’t remember how she looked like.

“A fat one that manages to have the harvest completed in two hours,” I told her.

“So many fat one, how do I know which one?” she said :-) Yes, so many fat one, how she knows which one. Even if she knows, she might not be able to remember as it happened more than three years ago.

When she learned that I am doing fine, she said that God saved me :-)

The church
The banner
My wife is donating again :-)
My nephew, Heng Chiek. He experienced dizziness after the donation. The nurse "commanded" him to rest extra. Anyway, he is fine and active now :-) We suspected he didn't took enough food in the morning but he told us that he had 5 slices of Gardenia bread and one cup of Milo for breakfast. May be next time he should have fried Kueh Teow with duck egg before blood donation.
Registration
Consultation
Blood donation in progress
As usual, a cup of Milo and a piece of cake after the donation
See you next post :-)

No comments: