Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day +2172 : HomePlug

I am fine today.

UniFi HyppTV programs are delivered through internet and is thus called Internet Television or IPTV. I found out that it is delivered through a separate channel other than the 5Mbps internet service. Therefore, the viewing of UnifiHypp TV won't slow down the internet connection. Someone on the internet mentioned that in fact the HyppTV is carried over a separate channel with the speed of 8Mbps, and with this speed, the viewing of HD program is possible.

UniFi service comes with a IPTV set-top box that connects to the TV, so it has to be located next to the television. But we normally put the router somewhere near the computer in the study room. So the problem  now is how to connect the set-top box to the router? Of course we can pull data cable from the study room to the place where the television is located in the living room, but this solution can be very messy.

I came to know a device called HomePlug that allows us to use power network to carry data. The UniFi installers said that they can provide the devices and test the connection for me with a cost of RM150. When the setup was completed, they are asking for RM300 which I declined outright.  The setup needs a pair of HomePlug, the installers might referred to the price of one HomePlug initially.

I purchased TP-Link TL-PA210Kit that came with a pair of HomePlug. It cost RM139. I managed to installed it successfully after some diagnostic work. The HomePlug managed to deliver data with a speed of 200Mbps, but when I tested with a diagnostic tool, I only get a speed of 90Mbps. However, this is more than enough for the IPTV service :-)

Almost twenty years ago when I was working with Petronas in Miri, my boss Michael Parfitt showed me an article that talked about the possibility of delivering data over the power network and now this concept has been realized :-)

TP-Link HomePlug

The connection diagram of the HomePlug is shown as the figure below.

Picture courtesy of TV Smith - 
See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi i just purchased the same homeplug for my iptv connection but it doesnt seem to work. When i switch the iptv on i could see the menu but no pictures appeared and the satelite dish error is d only thg that pops out. Do you know how we cld rectify such problem?

David said...

I think you can use the diagnostic software comes with the homeplug to check the throughput of the connection between the two homeplug. Sometimes, due to the condition of the power cable, the connection might not be good enough to deliver the iptv data.