Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day +2170 Upgrade to UniFi

I am fine today.

TM representative called me about two weeks ago asking me whether I would like to upgrade existing Streamyx 1Mbps ADSL package to the optical fibre based high speed internet called UniFi. I agreed.

The TM contractor came to install the UniFi connection on Sunday, pulling a fibre cable from the telephone pole at the back lane of my house to a place where my computer is located on the first floor. Though the fibre connection was tested OK, the router failed to establish an internet connection. They packed the equipment and went home.

They came again on Monday, but this time, even the fibre connection couldn't be established. However, this didn't deter them from trying again. They came back on Tuesday to no avail. After much coordinating and testing with TM access centre, they finally get the equipment online on Wednesday.

TM called VIP N where N can be 5, 10, 20 with respective download and upload speed of 5Mbps, 10Mbps and 20Mbps. The fibre connection bring to the house Video, Internet and Phone service, and thus the name VIP.  I subscribed the most basic package - VIP 5 that cost RM149 per month. The package come with the following features (Click on the image to get a larger view):

Compared to 1Mbps Streamyx, the internet connection is very fast. The speed test indicate an upload and download speed of about 4.7Mbps each. This allows the download of 2GB of data in an hour :-) This is about 5 times faster than the Streamyx Package that I had.

Under the terms and conditions, the data quota is 60GB per month but Telekom Malaysia has not enforce this at the moment, and I hope that they will never enforce this.

I am the second one in my residential area who installed Unifi :-) Though I am the "pioneer", I found out that the line is pretty stable, and I am very happy with it :-)

See you next  post :-)

No comments: