Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day +1021 : Purchasing Amanah Saham Malaysia (ASM) unit trust fund

I am fine today.

My third sister called yesterday advising me to invest on ASM which will be offering from today onward 3.33 billion units with RM1 per unit. Each investor is entitled to buy a maximum of 20,000 units.

The fund gives a return rate range from the lowest 6.25% (year 2009) to the maximum 7.80% (year 2001 and year 2008).

Comparing to fixed deposit, the return is still very good :-)

If people got a lot of money, the offering will be sold out very fast. So there is no guarantee that one could purchase the units successfully.

This is the first time ever I purchase this fund. As such, I need to open an account. Richard told me that in fact I could open an ASM account at post office first and then deposit the money into the account through Maybank where my money is. Maybank is very slow in opening the account but relatively fast in handling the purchase of additional units for those who with account.

After fetching Adriel to the kindergarten, I stopped by at the post office in Tesco Puchong at 8:30am on the way back, but there was no one there. I saw a notice saying that ASM transaction will only start 9:30am onwards. After seeing this notice, I decided to open the account at Maybank as it started to carry out ASM transaction at an earlier time, which is 9:15am.

When I reached Maybank, there were about 20 people queuing there. There were two counters handling ASM transaction only, one for those who needs to open account and the other one for those who already has an ASM account.

I was given a queue number of 5014 which meant that there were 14 people without ASM account in front of me.

Worrying that I might need to wait for too long before my turn, I went to the post office at Tesco Puchong again. The post office staff told me that they won’t be able to check the availability of allocation online; as such there was no guarantee that the units that I would like to purchase would be processed successfully. It looked like they had to have offline transaction :-(

I went upstairs to see if RHB branch in Tesco handle ASM transaction, and gladly found out that it did. The branch opened at 10:00am and I was the first one in the queue. So this is a good place to handle ASM transaction :-) I opened the account with RM100 initial deposit and then rushed back to Maybank.

I got a queue number of 3077 and the ASM counter was serving 3029. This means that I need to wait for at least one and half hour before my turn.

It was very fortunate that I met my neighbor who had an excess queue number, 3033 :-) With this queue number, I managed to purchase additional units in about 20 minutes.

Another trust fund, Amanah Saham Wawasan (ASW), which yields a higher return rate, will be offering 2 billion units next Monday. I plan to invest into this fund too :-)

According to Fortune Sense, the ASW offering will be fully subscribed in 1 day while ASM will only be sold out in 6.5 days. So if you would like to invest in ASM, there is still plenty of time for you to do that.

Quote from Fortune Sense:

Just for calculation purpose, the RM 2.5 billion Sukuk Simpanan rakyat with the maximum allowed per investor is 50, 000 units sold out in 2 days. The Amanah Saham Malaysia (ASM) with 3.33 billion units is estimated to be fully subscribed in 6.5 days.For the Amanah Saham Wawasan 2020 (ASW 2020) non bumiputra portion, 0.98 billion (49%) should be fully subscribed in 1 day. Anyway this is just an estimation by mathematics calculation, it is still depends on the response of the people after RM 2.5 Billion Sukuk Simpanan Rakyat.

See you next post :-)

No comments: