Monday, September 15, 2008

Day +803 : Follow-up

My Blood Count Today: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.

Red Blood Count (HB) = 148[145] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 209[191] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 7.2[6.8] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 4.4[3.34] (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
ALT = 53[37] (Normal 30 – 65)
AST = 23[32] (Normal 15-37)
GGT = 77[55] (Normal 15-85)

I am fine today.

I am very happy to know that the blood count and liver function test result are all within normal range. With this “beautiful” result, doctor cut down my daily Prednisolon (steroid) dosage from 2 tablets (10mg) to 1 tablet (5mg).

My next follow-up will be 6 weeks later. If I can achieve the same good result as today’s, the Prednisolon dosage will be halved again; a tablet (5mg) alternate day. Then another 6 weeks later, I might be able to say “sayonara” to Prednisolon :-) In other words, I would be able to stop taking Prednisolon the earliest three months later.

I met a post transplant AML patient in the clinic today. She did her transplant about one year ago and is now having some form of GVHD. She told me her skin is getting darker and darker. Apart from the skin, her liver function was also affected. Once her ALT reading reached more than 1000 and she had to go through a liver biopsy which is definitely not a pleasant procedure.

I am very glad that my ALT level started to “u-turn” after reaching 787 (most probably after heavy seafoods at Pulau Pangkor, but don’t believe me :-)), else I might need to go through the same procedure.

After some conversation, she asked me if I am the one who blogged about my transplant experience on the internet. She said she came to my blog through searching the internet :-)

I pray that her GVHD will be under control very soon and she will be completely healed from the disease.

See you next post :-)

No comments: