Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Day +678 : An update of the super fast computer

I am fine today.

I blogged about a high end personal computer on my blog Day +665. The system excluding the monitor costs RM5220. It will be slightly over RM6000 if we include a 22” wide screen LCD monitor.

As I mentioned earlier, my nephew Heng Chiek would like to over-clock the CPU (brain of the computer) from 2.6GHz to 3.6GHz. Therefore he needs to do a lot of testing to make sure the system is stable before releasing it to my boss.

One of the tests that he did was “torture test” or “stress test” using a software called Prime95. The test really tortures the computer. It loads all 4 cores of the CPU to maximum usage and let the system run under room temperature for a few days.

See, CPU Usage is 100%, making full use of the computer. Don't waste anything When I looked at the above performance report, I became very stressful. In other words, it is very torturing to see the computer works that hard, worrying that it might breaks down or “catches fire” any time.

The testing went quite smoothly except in one instance one core of the CPU encountered an error; else the system works quite well under the extreme condition. Since we are not going to load the CPU to maximum usage for a prolonged period of time when we use it for actual work, so we can quite safely neglect the error.

Running 4 instances of Prime95, the task bar shows one (yellow) encountered an error and stopped

3 instance of Prime95 using about 75% of CPU - loading 3 out of 4 cores
The maximum temperature “achieved” is about 70%C – not enough to boil the coffee but certainly enough to warm it.

Heng Chiek said it is quite noisy but I assured him that my boss will not be disturbed by the noise because the sound of air-conditioner is louder :-)

The system is really very fast! I am going to set it up for my boss tomorrow and I am sure he will be happy with it.

If you need a very fast computer, look for Heng Chiek. I believe he can provide you a good service which normal computer shop cannot provide :-)

See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sir,

Can ask Heng Chiek to fix my pentium MMX pc or not :D

Just kidding!

David said...

Sure can :-) He fixes everything, even the old system. I think he looks in the lelong.com for old expensive stuffs every day :-)