Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Day +6

My Blood Count Today:
Red Blood Count (RBC) 79 (Normal 130-180)
Platelet 11 (Normal 150-50)
White Blood Count (WBC) < 0.1 (Normal 4 - 11)

I am still considered fine, even with mild throat pain, mild flu and cough. The appetite is still good.

I received my 3rd doses of Methotrexate this afternoon at four o'clock. Only one more dose left to be given on day +11.

I am now immuneless with WBC less than 0.1. This situation will last for about 2 weeks, even with the administration of Neupogen. We pray that there would be no serious infections within this waiting period. Infections is marked by fever where body temperature increased to or more than 38%C from normal 36%C. Once this happen, the doctors have to investigate the causes of infections. Chest X-Ray will be taken to see if the lungs are healthy. At the same time, the blood samples will be taken from different parts of the body for culture to determine whether they are infected with virus, bacteria or fungus. If I were not mistaken, in my case, the blood sample has to be taken from all the 5 catherters (lumens) , 2 from the arm, 3 from the neck. As mentioned earlier, catherters are similar to electrical sockets installed on the body but are used to administer drug through the vein, draw and transfuse blood. Another blood sample have to be taken from one of the arms. Taking blood sample from any of the catherters is not painful at all, but drawing blood directly from the arm is painful. Without waiting for the blood culture result, the doctor will administer intravenous(iv) antibiotic immediately.

In my case an iv antifungal drug which is called Amphoterisin B will also be given. The Amphoterisin B is needed because I was infected with a fungus called aspergillus during my second cycle of chemotherapy. Not like iv antibiotic which can be administered within 1 hour per dose without much reaction, the administration of Amphoterisin B is very tedious. First the patient has to be put to sleep using two iv drugs called Pethidine and Phenergan. These drugs acts like morphin , it sooth the patient in order to reduce reaction from the Amphoterisin B. Then the Amphoterisin is administer intravenously through a flow control machine. The flow rate (ml per hour) is depending on the tolerancy of the patient towards the drug. The highest flow rate used so far is 100ml per hour. Therefore for a dose of Amphoterisin B diluted in a normal saline of 500ml would take at least 5 hours to deliver.

One thing I need to mention is that the drugs Pethidine and Phenergan are addictive, once you have it, you would long to have it the next day. They will make me so relax and peaceful and go to sleep before I am able to count to 10. If you cannot sleep at night, these drug might be helpful :-), but never say that I recommend them to you.

Despite the relaxation and soothing effect with Pethidine and Phenergan, my experience with Amphoterisin B is terrible. Frankly speaking, no one would like this drug, some patient still cannot tolerate it even with the help of Pethidine and Phenergan. Instead of going to sleep, they are shivering there even the Amphoterisin B is administered very slowly, say 30ml per hour. I experienced kidney impairement after 19 doses of Amphoterisin B, a dose each day. The impairment was marked by a very high level of the creatinine in the blood, 1.6 mg/dl compared to normal range of 0.6-1.2mg/dl. But the treatment of fungus has to continue, therefore, the doctor changed to a better iv drug called Cancidas. This drug is administered like antibiotic, without much effect, either on reaction while receiving the drug or organ function impairments. The only undesirable effect is that the price is very high, a dose would costs RM735. The first dosage is called loading dose with a higher volume than the following dose. It costs me more than RM1000 for the loading dose. Therefore I paid about RM5700 for 6 doses only. Hopefully, I would be able to claim this amount back from somewhere else. After this, I never stop taking oral antifungal drug Itraconazole (Sporanox) from middle of March this year until now. You can see how tedious is to handle the fungus infection. But please don't worry, for normal person like you with functional immune system, the likelihood of fungus infection would be very slim.

Apart from low WBC, my platelet count is also extremely low. As you know, platelet take parts in blood clot, low platelet count makes one very prone to bleeding. On the other hand, the red blood cells are helping in carrying oxygen to the tissues and organs of the body. A low level of red blood cells makes one get tired easily.

The nurse transfused a single donor pack of platelet to me in the evening. I will be receiving two packs of red blood cells tonight. Transfusion of platelet take less than one hour, but transfusion of red blood cells take about 3 hours per pack. So tonight until tomorrow morning I will be busy receiving red blood cells. All the transfusion has to go through a leukocytes (white blood cell) filter to remove the donor white blood cell. This is important to minimize the risk of transmission of diseases such as CMV, to reduce GVHD to the recipient. Non-transplant patient does not need this filter for blood transfusion.

I have too much stories to tell you, but I think I have to stop now. See you next post :-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ting,

what a great news knowing you are doing well. Even under this "restricted VIP" environment, your trust in the Almigthy God is unshaken but still posting in this blog humurously. It is fun reading it and very informative.

Do not dreaming of TNB pay you for the energy you would generate from cycling exercise in your room .....but you can dream us paying you of the educational value in your posting :)

Losing your intelligence with the unsolve SUDOKU ?!..nnooooo, "drug" addicts fantasy too much !!

I can imagine you with the 5 wires hooked up to your body..entangled with the 5 wheels stand, walking hurrily to the toilet, how can you manage it (those success story and the success rate)? Tell us when you have had enough rest,bored and not "high" on drug !!

Cheers
CN Lee

Anonymous said...

Hey there! It's Sandra. U should remember me, eh? Since I only just got to know you for less than 48hours? Hehe.. your blog looks really interesting. mines obsolete already btw. haha. yours is far better laid out than mine ever was even though we went through just about the same ordeal:) glad to see amidst all the pain u can still manage to crack jokes. gud sense of humour as well!;) wish i could have known u longer before i set off back to the uk... but anyhow, it was definitely a pleasure knowin a kindred spirit.i pray that u'll manage to get through this, without much hardship and with plenty of smiles left after:) never give up hope aite? good things come to people who trust the lives in God's hands;) do take care, and remember, im just an email away if u ever need to ask me ANYTHING alright?:) *hugz* God bless always.

p/s:say hi to the doctors for me eh?;) sorry i missed them the other day

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

Smile for the day, GOD LOVE YOU.

I think you should consider changing carrer after this, to be a medical consultant instead of s/w developer :)

God bless,
Grace

Anonymous said...

Dear David,
This is from Polly Hong Kong Alliance Mission, just want to tell u, you are in our prayers,
Be strong and take care!
Polly

Anonymous said...

Dear David,

Someone let me know of your news today. I guess you probably can't remember who am I, I was your student in INTI College.

I have been in Taiwan for 1.5 years. Just a coincidence I have a friend who is fighting the same disease like you in Taiwan too. He was once admitted to ICU, and now he's back to normal ward.

Just want to let you know you are really nice and great, you can sure make it through.

Take good care! You will be prayed by all of us.

Best wishes,
PS Ann

Anonymous said...

Hi David,

I am a former student from INTI too. Although I have not been teached by you, but I heard your name from the seniors.

Gald to see you are strong in facing the challenge. God will listen to your prayers and for sure you will be blessed and be well soon.

~SJ~

Anonymous said...

Hi Sir,

I was your student from INTI College too. Hope you can still remember all of us in your Multimedia and Networking class! We will pray for you! Get well soon!

Vincent

Anonymous said...

Dear David,

Leong just passed me your blog.

I am encourage to see you still in good spirit and I know that its a joy that comes from Heaven :)

Am praying for you. Take care and hope to see you soon.

CEASELESS sunshine makes the desert
Constant heat the burning sand;
Winter's snows make healthy climate,
Summer rains the fertile land;
And do not our light affliction,
Like the rain and like the snow,
Keep our souls from being deserts
Where no heavenly fruit could grow?
"William Blane"

Anonymous said...

David,

With all the informations and those medical jargons, we know that you are doing pretty fine :-)
Thank God...

We all know that God is good to those who has hope in Him. Therefore no worries. Keep it up your lengthy, informative & lastly "incomprehendable" (too tough for me to understand) text
:-) Hehe...

Phang

Anonymous said...

Dear Ah Kiew,
Adriana passed me your news.. It came as a shock to me, and I still cannot believe this is true. Hang on, my friend, given your strength and faith, I trust you will make it through. Our prayers are with you always. God bless you will be as good as new when the whole ordeal is over!!
I am now in US. My husband and I hope to meet you when we're in KL from Aug 5-8.
Take good care dear, get well soon, and we look forward to seeing you.

God Bless Always,
Ee Ding

David said...

Lee, when I get entangled, I shout for the nurse to help and the success rate is 100% now as they always come.

Hi Sandra, my comrade! Really great to meet you in the WAD. Every nurse mentioned to me about Sandra the Great! Thank for your encouragement and prayer. I would pass your regards to the doctors when they came to examine me.

Grace, I will take your suggestion seriously:-)

Dear Polly, it is very encouraged to know so many people are praying for me. Thank you and God bless all of you.

Sorry PS Ann, with so many students I taught, I really could not remember you. But I think I must be able to recognize you if we meet :-) Thank for your prayer.

SJ, Thank for your encouragement and prayer. I hope I manage to teach you :-)

Vincent, I should remember most of you :-) It is fun to work with you all...

Phang, if you don't understand the jargon, you would better go to see any clinical doctor nearby your house! Just a joke:-)

Konlas, I still remember you! Thank for your support and may God bless you all.

So surprise to hear from
Ee Ding! We would try out best to meet.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»