Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day +1383 : Electronics and I (2)

I am fine. Continue from yesterday…

The projects required some kind of soldering which needs a 240V AC power supply but there was no electricity supply in the kampong. The solution was to use a 12V battery with a DC-AC transformer. The transformer would be able to transform the 12V DC to 240V AC supply that we could use for soldering and also watching television :-) We sent the battery to somewhere else to charge with a fee.

We purchased a generator not long after and with that, we would be able to charge the battery during the few hours at night when we turned on the generator. We were still using the transformer with the 12V DC battery during day time.

Projects that I built with Richard includes FM transmitter, sound activated switch, light sensitive switch and running lights.

Richard was even more adventurous, he wired up the switch to the light and commanded the light to turn on and off with a shout or a clap. He also made use of the light sensitive switch for a science project competition in the school and won the first price :-)

I like electronics very much but I never thought of studying electronics in the university as I didn’t have confident to gain a place in the local university to do this course. But my STPM (Malaysia Higher School Certificate) exam result turned out to be something beyond my expectation that I applied successfully to do electronics in UPM (University Pertanian Malaysia or Agricultural University of Malaysia) :-)

UPM was an agricultural based university in the beginning and it was certainly not a prestigious university for engineering course at that time. However, I don't really mind. In fact, I am very thankful to God to be able to study electronics :-) The university was renamed to Universiti Putra Malaysia later.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: