Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day +1382 : Electronics and I (1)

I am fine today.

When I was studying form 4, I stumbled across some electronics magazines in a bookshop in the small town of Bintangor. I was fascinated by those electronics projects that were described in the magazine. I intended to build some of the projects but there was no way for me to get the necessary components in the small town.

The magazine was published in Hong Kong. I wrote to the supplier and eventually ordered many electronic project kits from Hong Kong. I already forgot how I actually paid them but one thing I remembered very clearly was that, when I was collecting the parcels from the post office, the custom officer asked me what stuffs were in the parcel.

“Are they camera parts?” they asked.

“No. They are electronics parts,” I told them.

I was asked to pay import tax after that. The custom officer told me that camera parts were exempted from tax. If I told them they were camera parts, I would not be asked to pay tax.

There was no computer, no internet, no electric supply and no telephone in the kampong. I had to correspond with the Hong Kong supplier through snail mail; asking about the ordering process and payment options, and then placde an order. So an order normally took weeks to arrive.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: