Monday, May 25, 2009

Day +1055 : Follow-up at Haematology Clinic

Day +1055 : Follow-up at Haematology Clinic

My Blood Count Today: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.

Red Blood Count (HB) = 149[144] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 194[210] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 7.3[4.4] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 2.847[2.024] (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)

ALT = 64[66] (Normal 30 – 65)
AST = 28[42] (Normal 15-37)
GGT = 58[36] (Normal 15-85)

I am fine today.

All blood count and kidney function test results are within the normal range :-)

My abdomen is still very stiff and in fact, my whole body is stiff. This is an indication of GVHD. Doctor said that I might need to take Prednisolon (steroid) again. However, she will only make a decision after she studies the result of my thorax high resolution CT scan during next follow-up which is scheduled four weeks later. The CT scan, which will be done on 18, June, will allow doctor to determine if I have BOOP/BO. I was introduced the term by Dr. Gan during my last follow-up, and I wrote about it on Day +1027 : Follow-up at haematology clinic.

I met a friend, Mr. Lim, in the clinic, whose interesting stories can be found in the following blog entries:

After going through many obstacles, he managed to do the bone marrow transplant one year ago. No sign of GVHD was observed and doctor cut off the Ciclosporin – a drug that is used to control GVHD - a month ago.

He called me not long ago, saying that he noticed rashes on his body. I suspected he was having GVHD and asked him to call the heamatology ward immediately. He was given Prednisolon(steroid) – 11(55mg) tablets per day - since then.

When I saw him this afternoon, his face was full of dark red patches, something like sunburn. He also showed me rashes that spread all over his body. Apart from this, he is experiencing sticky eyes, sensitive mouth and also high level of liver enzymes. These symptoms are indication of GVHD, which I also experienced about two years ago; that is six months after transplant.

Apart from Prednisolon, he was prescribed another anti-GVHD drug called Cellcept today. He told me Cellcept is very expensive and he will be seeking subsidy from Welfare Department (Kebajikan).

He plan to start working as an excavator driver next week, but this GVHD might prevent him from resuming work so soon.

Hopefully, his body will response to the new drug and the GVHD will be brought under control very soon.

See you next post :-)

No comments: