Monday, May 31, 2010

Day +1426 : Follow-up at BMT clinic

My Blood Count Today: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.
Red Blood Count (HB) = 155[150] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 192[183] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 9.7[6.9] (Normal 4 - 11)

I am fine today.

I went to UH this afternoon for a post bone marrow transplant follow-up. The blood counts today were good and I was told that the liver function test result for the last follow-up (3 months ago) was in good order as well. For your information, the liver function test result for the blood sample taken this afternoon was not out at the moment I saw the doctor.

I asked the doctor about the necessity of having H1N1 vaccination as I am considered to be under the high risk group. The doctor advised me to have trivalent influenza vaccine which covers the pandemic H1N1 strain and also the seasonal A and B influenza viruses. In other words, the vaccine has a wider coverage than the monovalent vaccine which covers the H1N1 only.

But the problem is that UH is starting to roll out trivalent vaccination and the priority now is to give this vaccination to the staffs, not the patients. I was advised to go to the government clinic for trivalent vaccination. I will try Puchong clinic one of these days.

The doctor also told me that most people who received trivalent vaccination would have fever as the side effect :-(

Doctor also commented that I have more post transplant side effects than most patients but my condition now is generally good, so he scheduled my next follow-up 4 months later. This is the first time ever I got to enjoy such as long interval between follow-ups :-)

See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Teresa Ting said...

Indeed, good blood results. It is on the uphill of improvement. Keep it up.

I will need to switch to GH for Jon. How long does it normally take for arranging the appointment? Long queue/waiting of a few months?

I think I will need initial appointment first and then see how to get the monthly medication. Next, need to apply for subsidy.

Anyone you know who has CML whom we can contact for advice?

David said...

Dear Teresa,

Switching to GH to get the medication is a very good option. I don't have any experience with GH, so I also don't know how long one need to wait.

I don't know if you can see the private hematologist and then get the medication from the GH. My eldest sister always advise people to do this.

Most of my friends are AML patients, so I don't have a CML friend how.

David