Saturday, May 29, 2010

Day +1424 : Goodies from Sarawak

I am fine today.

My eldest sister brought many goodies from Sarawak; some from the kampong and others from Kuching.

My third sister (my bone marrow donor), who is staying in our hometown Bintangor, purchased about 50kg of fruits for us. It is by not mean a trivial effort to get the fruits here.

The fruits were first carried from Bintangor to Kuching through express boat by my niece, Siew Ling, who was just starting her internship in Kuching. My eldest sister and my brother-in-law then picked them up from the jetty.

After adding some more goodies from Kuching, the overall check-in luggage was 66kg; something over the combined limit of 60kg free luggage weight. Given that the airline charges RM16 for each kg of excess luggage, the total excess luggage cost was RM96, which is more than the value of the luggage itself. So it is not worth to pay for it.

It was fortunate that they found a solution to the problem free of charge at last – hand carried a box which was supposed to be checked in.

I believe not all family members would like to take so much trouble to do this but I am very grateful that my family members did and not only that, they were very happy to do this :-)

The honey oranges - do not look beautiful but taste "beautifully"
Lemons and limes together with another type of orange (the big one)
Pomelo
Chickens from Kuching
Nice butter milk bun from Kuching - can't find it here
See you next post :-)

4 comments:

Seu Chuong said...

Dear David
May I bring to your attention that we need to peel off the cover/skin of the buns before consuming them, especially if they are dark brown in colour.
You know the reasons ?

David said...

Dear Seu Chuong,

I didn't peel off. Just eat like that. What are the reasons?

David

Seu Chuong said...

David, The reasons are just hygenic precautions,ie, there may be bugs or housefly or other elements such as dusts landing on the buns. Most of the buns or breads are mass-produced by unknown and semi-skilled workers in an unknown conditions. So avoid those over-baked stuff as our stomach will do extra work to digest them. We need to be strict in selecting the food that go into our mouth. The over-cooked burnt(charcoal) colour food should be peeled off and left unconsumed.
I obeyed this simple rule since I was young and I hope this "knowledge" is true.(My own children obey this family rule and I hope it does not kill their joy of eating.) Do I sound too serious ??

David said...

Dear Seu Chuong,

Thanks for this detailed explanation. It must have some truth in it :-)I believe it is now you and your family's habit to peel off the skin.

The bun from the bakery house here might be cleaner. If we want to make sure that whether it is true, we can stand here and observe how they make the bun :-)

David