Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day +939 : An offer turned down

I am fine today.

I went back to haematology ward in UH yesterday to visit the lady whose siblings were reluctant to donate their stem cells to her. I would like her to give me a chance to explain to her siblings on how stem cells donation is being done, hoping that they will change their mind to support her.

In order to make sure that the patient was still there, I called haematology ward. I only managed to remember the name of another patient who stayed in the same room with the lady.

“Is the lady who stayed with xxx still there?” I asked.

“Sebut betul-betul namanya?”  the nurse requested me to give proper name of the patient.  Of course I couldn’t. If I remembered the name, I would tell the nurse in the beginning.

“Is he xxx?” the nurse asked. Yes, that was the one that I was looking for.

When I reached the ward, the patient was just about to discharge. I asked her whether she could make arrangement for me to meet with her siblings so that I could explain to them the procedure of stem cells donation. The response was very negative.

“We already beg each one of them for the past one year, some of them don’t even want to pick up call from us now,” the husband said.

I told them as long as they are willing to make arrangement, I am willing to travel to Tapah and Ipoh to meet the patient’s siblings.

 “You can get their telephone numbers from Kebajikan (Welfare Department),” the patient said.

 In order to convince them I am capable of doing the job well, I told them that I had been a lecturer for a few years. The response was till negative.

I believe they already gave up their hope on having stem cells donation from the patient’s siblings. Once one giving up hope (死心), nothing much I could do.

However, I left my telephone number to them and told them I am always ready to help should they change their mind later.

See you next post :-)

No comments: