Friday, January 09, 2009

Day +919 : Good news and bad news

I am fine today.

My mother-in-law, my wife and I went for a full blood screening at BP Lab on 27 December 2008. We returned to the lab to get the result this afternoon.

The blood results indicated that we are healthy generally. My wife scored the best result among three of us. All readings are within range except the LDL cholesterol (bad) which is 2.9, slightly above the optimal reading 2.6.

As usual, my mother-in-law is having minor anaemia. Her cholesterol level is also high. However, her cholesterol level is under control with medication.

As for my health, I have good news and bad news for you, or rather for myself :-) The good news is that my cholesterol level is low, and the bad news is that it is the good cholesterol that has low reading. The bad cholesterol is way beyond the optimal reading – reaching a value of 4.1 against the optimal value of 2.6 :-)

I am learning from the ever optimistic penguins in calamitous circumstances. I quote what they said in the movie Madagascar 2 just before their plane crash landed in Africa:  

I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is we are landing and the bad news is we are crash landing.

One interesting thing that I would like to find out is the Hepatitis B screening result. The last blood screening test done a year before I was diagnosed with Leukaemia showed an Anti-HBs reading of 920 IU/L and now after the transplant, the reading dropped to 114 IU/L only. I have to go for a Hepatitis B booster vaccination should the level dropped below 100 IU/L.

This showed that the transplant really wiped off almost everything including the artificial immunization against certain infections. It also indicates somehow that the transplant is working.

Apart from cholesterol level, the rest of the results are good :-) Now I have a big job to do – to improve the cholesterol level so that no bad news is attached to the good news during the next lipids studies.

 See you next post :-)

No comments: