Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day +928 : They arrived finally

I am fine today.

My boss visited PIKOM PC Fair 2008(III) at KLCC on 14 December 2008. He saw an NEC VERSA S5600 notebook with the following specifications:

  • Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
  • 2GB DDR2 RAM
  • 250GB SATA HDD
  • Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 4500MHD
  • 12.1” WXGA SSV TFT LCD
  • Lightweight 1.8kg

The unit was selling at RM3,699 during the PC Fair and it came with bonus gifts including NEC mouse, NEC back-pack, carrying case, micro fibre cleaning cloth and 36 months onsite warranty.

I recommended him to upgrade the Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Business and also upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 4GB as he would be using the notebook for software development work.

The NEC reseller told him that it was not possible to have the upgrade.

I contacted NEC Malaysia directly after that and the sales person there said that it was possible to do the upgrade.  Because the promotion was over, we couldn’t get any bonus gifts that were offered during the PC Fair. However, I managed to get 2 years extension of warranty with a minimal charge of RM100 instead of the normal rate of RM419 :-)

I ordered two notebooks and it took NEC almost one month to produce them. Since NEC Malaysia doesn’t sell their products directly, I have to collect the two notebooks from City Information Sdn. Bhd. at Lowyat Plaza.

I went to Lowyat Plaza with my nephew Heng Chiek to collect the notebooks this afternoon. Even though today is Sunday, it took us 2 hours to reach there due to heavy traffic jam at Jalan Hang Tuah. The policemen blocked some roads, forcing us to make a big round in order to reach Lowyat Plaza.

The computer shop told me that I am the first customer that purchased a customized NEC notebook computer :-) Unlike Dell which provides online customization of their notebooks, purchasing a customized notebook from NEC is a very troublesome job. But because my boss loves the NEC notebooks so much that I have to get it for him by all means :-) Of course, it is also good for me as he also give one of the notebooks to me :-)

Together with a desktop computer and some other computer accessories, I spent more than RM12,000 at Lowyat Plaza today :-)

Two boxes of NEC notebooks
Setting up the notebook

See you next post :-)

4 comments:

acabela said...

since it is so special, may be should introduce what are"sale points" of this NEC notebook after using it.

heng chiek

David said...

Sure, Heng Chiek. So far can't see much different than others. David

ront said...

how are the NEC so far? have you encountered the after-sales support? I heard from a friend who was using NEC that the support is really bad. i think the fella blogged about it somewhere...can try and find it if you're interested.

David said...

The support here is quite good. The motherboard burned because I plug in the power adapter without turning it off. They sent a guy to replace the motherboard onsite two days later.