Monday, September 20, 2010

Day +1538 : Follow-up at BMT clinic

My Blood Count Today: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.
Red Blood Count (HB) = 154[155] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 207[192] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 8.4[9.7] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 3.612 (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)

I am fine today.

I went for a post bone marrow transplant follow-up at UH this afternoon. Again, the blood count results were all within normal range.

Dr. Haris checked my lung and let me listened to the sound from the lung through the stethoscope. I heard hissing sound :-( Doctor explained that it is due to pulmonary fibrosis or “scarring of the lung” which was a result of previous lung infection. And unfortunately, the problem is not reversible.

In fact, I could hear the hissing sound even without the stethoscope, especially when I was having flu.

Such a lung condition is prompt to infection. Doctor advised me to go for an influenza vaccination. However, I have to wait for the vaccine being updated to the “latest version” – the one that is effective for the coming flu season. And that will only happen November this year. Perhaps, I should just wait until the next follow-up, which is 4 months from now.

I am now free from all medicines including the antibiotic – Penicillin - which I was once told that I have to take it lifelong.

See you next post :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sincerely wish you the very best of health. May God bless you.