Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Day +1532 : Extended warranty saved me again

I am fine today.

I purchased two NEC VERSA S5600 notebook computers one year 8 months ago. I extended the warranty from one year to three years.

One of the notebook computers is for my boss and the other one for me to use.

The one that I am using experienced the first breakdown about 6 months after use - total blackout even with the power cable plugged in. NEC authorized technician came to replace the motherboard onsite.

One of the USB port was having problem a few months ago and since they are another two USB ports which I can use, so I didn’t file a complaint. However, I experienced keyboard problem a few days ago – certain key didn’t response to touch properly. For example, when I pressed the ‘c’ key, the character ‘c’ only appeared sometimes. This is very annoying.

I called NEC support again and the support staff said that they would like to pick up the notebook back for repair. Knowing that there is provision for onsite repair under the warranty, I declined, and at the same time insisting for a onsite repair.

The technician came this afternoon and spent more than 2 hours to replace the motherboard and keyboard. Now the notebook computer is functioning as good as a new one :-)

It is very fortunate that I extended the warranty as I would have to pay a lot for this repair without the extension.

See you next post :-)

1 comment:

Ting Tiew Kiong said...

Hi David,
yes , u are right, nowadays,everything must have purchased extended warranty.ihave followed every blog u post since day one . keep up the good job and stay healthy.