Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Day +847 : How much can happiness be bought?

I am fine today.

While I was re-filling petrol at a gas station yesterday, a man approached me and talked to me in Cantonese, a dialect which is beyond my comprehension. I shook my hand, signaling him that I couldn’t understand what he was talking about.

He walked away and talked to a van driver. It seemed that he was asking for something, but he was turned away. Then he looked for a car driver, and then a lorry driver, all of them turned him away.

I suspected that he needed some kind of assistance, whether a true need or just trying to bluff so that he could get something he wanted. Anyway, I felt sorry about him and at the same time admired his braveness and persistency.

I waved at him and he came to me again. I asked him to talk in Chinese. He said that he forgot to bring along his wallet and his motorbike was running out of petrol. He needed some money to fill the petrol.

“How much do you need?” I asked.

“Two ringgit.”

That is very easy to fulfill :-) I gave two ringgit to him straight away.

He is happy, and I am happy.

You see, with just two ringgit, you and me, and he, and all of us can have happiness :-)

See you next post :-)

No comments: