Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day +1837 : Learning Greek

I am fine today.

I am learning ancient Greek this semester. This is the language that the New Testament was written. A student who pursues a course in Master in Divinity must take either Greek or Hebrew. I understand from most seniors that Greek is easier as it resembles English more, so I decided to take the subject.

Those who have studied mathematics are already acquainted with many Greek alphabets including α,β,δ,γ,ε,λ,π,ψ. And some of the Greek words are very similar to English. However, the challenging part of the language lies in its grammar which is a lot more advance compared to English :-(

After some struggle, I can type Greek on the computer now :-) And I would like to show you an example of Greek language.

English
To the first church the apostle speaks the first parable.

Greek Translation
τῃ πρωτῃ ἐκκλησιᾳ ὁ ἀποστολος λεγει την πρωτην παραβολην.

It is fun to learn the language, at least until now :-)

See you next post :-)

No comments: