Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day +2050 : Tested positive for Chikugunya and Legionella

I am fine today.

I went to UH with a group of students to get the result of the blood test done last Thursday. I was tested positive for both Chikugunya and Legionella. Chikugunya like Dengue, is an Aedes mosquito transmitted disease, and Legionella is a type bacteria that grows in the air-conditioner.

The resort that we stayed in Pangkor is not a popular one, and I guess its air-conditioners are not well maintained. This causes the bacteria grows inside the air-conditioner, and when we turned it on, the bacteria dropped off and spreaded to us through the air. Legionella can cause pneumonia, but so far I didn't cough much, and I hope that it will not bring trouble to my lung which is already weak due to the side effect of the bone marrow transplant.

Besides tested positive for Chikugunya and Legionella, my liver enzymes test reading is beyond the normal range, and this might be caused by the infection. All of us have to go back to UH again next week to repeat the blood test.

Since almost all who went for the retreat caught one or more diseases, I should say that the retreat is quite a disastrous one :-(

See you next post :-)

No comments: