Monday, June 22, 2009

Day +1083 : Follow-up at Haematology Clinic

My Blood Count Today: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.
Red Blood Count (HB) = 150[149] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 188[194] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 6.7[7.3] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 2.613[2.847] (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
ALT = 81[64] (Normal 30 – 65)
AST = 41[28] (Normal 15-37)
GGT = 60[58] (Normal 15-85)

I am fine today.

The blood count result today is normal. Though the liver enzymes, ALT and AST, are slightly over the normal range, there is nothing much to worry about :-)

The result of the chest CT scan done last Thursday showed no evidence that I have Bronchioectasis, and another comment written on the report was that the shape or condition of the lung remained unchanged compared to the previous scan which was done July last year.
This is good news as it didn’t get worse as expected :-)

Doctor ordered an echocardiogram heart test for me to the function of my heart and the test will be carried out during my next bone marrow transplant clinic appointment 4 weeks later.

Just in case you don’t know what is echocardiogram heart test.
An echocardiogram (often called "echo") is a graphic outline of the heart's movement. During this test, high-frequency sound waves, called ultrasound, provide pictures of the heart's valves and chambers. This allows the technician, called a sonographer, to evaluate the pumping action of the heart. Echo is often combined with Doppler ultrasound and color Doppler to evaluate blood flow across the heart's valves.
Apart from this, I have to do a respiratory function test (RFT) every 6 months to monitor the function of my lung. The next one is scheduled on the 1st of October.

I also did a pneumocococcal vaccination after seeing the haematologist. A dose of the vaccine cost RM138, and again I went to the baby clinic to request the nurse there to inject for me.
This vaccine has to be repeated 3 yearly while the influenza vaccination has to be done yearly.

I have gained some weight over the past few weeks, and now my weight is 60.8kg :-)

The vaccine

See you next post :-)

No comments: