Monday, February 25, 2008

Day +600 : Finally, he found suitable bone marrow for transplant (1)

I am fine today.

I wrote about an interesting friend who was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML) much earlier than me. He went through chemotherapies but experienced relapses twice. In the end he opted for bone marrow transplant.

He found a matching Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) in his brother who was working in Canada for many years, but unfortunately this brother didn’t want to donate his stem cells to him :-( You can read his story here.

Knowing this, my friend asked the doctors to search for matching third party (one other than the siblings) bone marrow, but again, could not find a suitable one. Since the non-sibling bone marrow transplant is very costly, he also raised fund through newspapers.

When I was having my holiday in Sarawak December last year, he called me to inform me that his elder sister was willing to go for HLA matching test. This surprised me as I thought that all his siblings had already been tested.

“My sister listened to aunties (Ah Mu, Ah So) in the kampong who warned her of all sort of risks in donating stem cells to me,” he explained.

I advised my friend to ask his sister to talk to my third sister who donated her stem cells to me.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: