Monday, October 09, 2006

Day +96

My Blood Count Today:
Red Blood Count (RBC) = 104(Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 71(Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 2.7(Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 1.35 (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
Potassium = 4.3(Normal 3.5 - 5.2)

I went to UH to do my first follow-up in the “G Clinic” today. The blood result is more or less the same compared to last week result.

The Cytogenetic Analysis for the bone marrow sample taken on Day +21 confirmed that the last pair chromosome of my blood is “XX”, no longer “XY”. Therefore, I am carrying a female blood now :-). This also confirmed that the transplant is successful. Cytogenetic Analysis for bone marrow sample taken on Day +84 will be known a few weeks later. Doctor said to me, “You are a girl now.” However, please do not worry, I am still a man, the transplant only affects my blood system.

Someone might think that my next baby must be a girl. Because the chromosome of my blood is “XX’”, and the chromosome of my wife’s blood is also “XX”, so no matter how we combine them, the resulting chromosome is still “XX”, which means a girl. However, this is not true as the fertilization is a business of combining a male sperm and a female egg, not combination of bloods. Since my sperm still carries chromosome “X” or “Y”, and my wife’s egg carries chromosome “X”, the possible combination will still be as usual, that is “XX” or “XY”.

Doctors at “G Clinic” start to see patients at 2:00pm every Monday. They see bone marrow transplant patients only on each Monday. I went to the hospital as early as 10:00am to draw blood samples for analysis. This is to make sure that the blood result can be ready by 2:00pm. After seeing doctor, I reached home at about 4:00pm. Each follow-up will take at least 6 hours.

See you next post :-)

No comments: